10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert
10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert is a powerful picture book that promotes identity, gender roles, perspectives, tolerance, friendship and social awareness.
Every night. Bailey, a boy who identifies as a girl dreams of wearing beautiful dresses. The reaction of her family is devastating. “Boys don’t wear dresses!” She soon meets an older girl who is inspired by Bailey’s courage to follow her dreams. They work together to make the dresses in Bailey’s dreams become a reality.
Teaching Resources: 10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Educate and Celebrate: Original Song, with lyrics
- Fair Education Act: 10,000 Dresses Lesson Plan
- The Highland Council: Equality and Diversity Lesson Plan ‘10,000 Dresses’
- Mermaids UK: Resources and information to support gender non-conforming or transgender children
- No Outsiders: Transgender Awareness KS2-3: 10,000 Dresses Lesson Plan
- SF Gate: ‘10,000 Dresses’: A book about gender identity
- SF Weekly: Author Marcus Ewert talks Beats, Guns, and Transgender Kids
- SF Gate: Exuberant Rex Ray works not to be taken lightly
- Teaching Tolerance: 10,000 Dresses Classroom
- Today’s Little Ditty: Spotlight on Marcus Ewert and DMC Challenge
- Take a look inside
Books by Marcus Ewert & Rex Ray
- How to Use Picture Books to Teach Cause and Effect
- 18 of the Best Children’s Books about Identity
- Identity Books and Resources for the Classroom
- Talking to Young Children about Pride Month
- Discover the Benefits of Picture Books for Older Readers
- 6 Powerful Strategies on How to Choose Books to Read
- Children’s Books & Resources for the IB Learner Profile Traits