About Children's Library Lady
Let Me Introduce Myself
I’m Kirsten, a librarian and educator who loves picture books. (That is me on the sidebar)
What is Children’s Library Lady?
The purpose of Children’s Library Lady is to recommend high-quality, inclusive picture books for your classroom or school library. Picture books are a wonderful way to foster a love of reading. I love picture books that:
- send a positive message integrated into the story rather than being forced or too obvious.
- are exciting, diverse and inclusive for all ages
- are inspiring for children, and the adults who read them!
All children need to see themselves reflected in the literature around them, that present diverse cultural traditions and family structures that coexist in our communities. Exposing children to diversity in books will promote empathy, tolerance, and understanding.
You are the best person to choose books for your students. Children’s Library Lady offers lists of books with no judgement from me on their suitability for you (other than I have added them). We don’t all have the same tastes and I wouldn't choose every book I select to have in my classroom.
How Can I Help You?
I have been a classroom teacher and teacher-librarian in primary schools, so I understand your daily pressures and difficulties of finding great literature. I can help by:
- finding the best diverse and inclusive books for your classroom or library
- inspiring you to find great literature and expand your options, especially if you are bored of reading the same books year after year.
- giving you access to resources on topics including the positive values, behaviours and attitudes we want our students to embody
- collating online resources you can use in the classroom or send home to parents
- creating free resources you can download to use in your classroom.
I update my lists to make them as inclusive as possible. If you have a great book you have used in your classroom or school library, get in touch.
Keep in Touch
A Little Bit About Me
- I am from Yorkshire but lived in Japan, Malaysia, Germany and now Manchester.
- After two decades in primary education, I am now a college librarian. I have gone from working with young children to adults. It’s been an education!
- I have travelled to 50 countries but haven’t been on an aeroplane since I came back to the UK in 2017
- I rarely use social media, so I am working on keeping Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest up to date. It’s going pretty well at the moment 😀
- It took me over 25 years to pass my driving test. I still don’t have a car.
Free Resource Library
Sign up for the newsletter to get a password to the resource library. You can download resources and use them immediately.
1 product is for 1 classroom, though you can share them electronically to students and parents during the lockdown.
If a colleague is interested in the free resources, please ask them to sign up for the newsletter to get the password. Thanks… It takes time to create these resources.
4 thoughts on “About”
Kristin, I always find great stuff when I make it over to your site/blog. Thank you so much for sharing your love of books.
Yes, I love it! A great treasure!! Thank you for all your hard work and organization.
I love this website! I love all the different categories you have and it is all very easy to navigate! Thank you for making it easy to find books!