Ada Twist, Scientist Activities and Comprehension Questions
Do your students struggle to keep going in the face of failure? Ada Twist, Scientist promotes a growth mindset, curiosity and problem-solving. Read on to find Ada Twist, Scientist activities and discussion questions.
In Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty, a curious Ada Twist discovers her questions often lead to more questions than answers. The themes of the book include:
– Never give up in the face of failure.
– Curiosity helps us understand how things work.
– Space to be curious leads to creative thinking and problem-solving.
Ada Twist, Scientist gives opportunities to teach:
- Growth mindset
- Following your dreams
- Scientific process
- Asking questions
- Character traits
- Point of view
Scroll down for Ada Twist, Scientist activities, discussion questions and videos.
Ada Twist, Scientist Summary
Ada Twist started talking at three and asked why? what? how? and when? Her curiosity leads to more questions to figure out how the world works and her place in it.
On the first day of spring, Ada sets out to discover the source of a pungent smell. She devises a hypothesis and conducts experiments with her safety goggles on a vacuum hose attached to her nose. She tests the cabbage stew, almost puts the cat in the washing machine and writes her ideas on the Great Thinking Wall.
Her frazzled parents soon realise their daughter is a scientist. They nurture her inquisitive nature and obvious talents despite living among the chaos and clutter. They help Ada believe she is capable of anything, including using her scientific traits to track down the horrible stench.
Ada Twist, Scientist; Iggy Peck, Architect; Sofia Valdez, Future Prez; Rosie Revere, Engineer;Aaron Slater, Illustrator
- The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin by Julia Finley Mosca
- Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly
- Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles by Patricia Valdez
- The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever by H. Joseph Hopkins
- Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist by Jess Keating
- The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter
Ada Twist, Scientist Activities & Resources
I have created literacy graphic organizers for Ada Twist, Scientist. You can find them at my Teachers Pay Teachers store. There are many activities for each literacy area to differentiate depending on your student’s ability/age. They include activities for:
- Cause & Effect
- Character Traits and Analysis
- Inferring and Predicting
- Main Idea and Theme
- Making Connections
- Point of View
- Problem and Solution
*Click on these links to discover book recommendations on these topics.
Ada Twist, Scientist Activities & Links
FREE Ada Twist, Scientist Activities
Would you like free graphic organisers for Ada Twist, Scientist?
I have a freebie that is part of a larger resource so you can try it out before buying anything!
Fill in the form below to get access to the FREE pack. Click on the image to see the full pack on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Ada Twist, Scientist Read-Aloud Questions
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- What do you think Andrea Beaty wants us to learn from reading Ada Twist, Scientist?
- What did you learn from reading Ada Twist, Scientist?
- Describe the problem faced by Ada and the process she went through to solve it.
- How would you describe Ada? What are her character traits?
- How do Andrea Beaty and David Roberts show Ada‘s curiosity?
- Ada’s curiosity caused problems in the beginning. Do you think her behaviour was acceptable? Explain your answer.
- If you lived with Ada, how would you go about answering all her questions?
Ada Twist, Scientist Book Videos
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.