Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty
Ada Twist started talking at the age of three and asked why? what? how? and when? Her curiosity leads to questions to figure out how the world works and her place in it.
On the first day of spring, Ada sets out to discover the source of a pungent aroma. She devises a hypothesis and conducts experiments with her safety goggles on a vacuum hose attached to her nose. She tests the cabbage stew, almost puts the cat in the washing machine and writes her ideas on the Great Thinking Wall.
Her frazzled parents soon realise their daughter was a scientist. They nurture her inquisitive nature and obvious talents despite living among the chaos and clutter. They help her believe she is capable of anything, including using her scientific traits to track down the horrible stench.
Ada Twist, Scientist Graphic Organisers
Click on the images to find more information about the literacy companion pack to Ada Twist, Scientist which includes 265 NO PREP graphic organizers.
There are many activities for each literacy area to differentiate depending on your student’s ability/age. They include activities for:
- Asking Questions
- Author’s Purpose
- Cause & Effect
- Character Traits and Analysis
- Compare & Contrast
- Comprehension Questions and Writing Prompts
- Inferring and Predicting
- Main Idea and Theme
- Making Connections
- Point of View
- Problem and Solution
- Retelling, Sequencing and Summarizing
- Story Maps
*Click on these links to discover book recommendations on these topics.
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- What do you think Andrea Beaty wants us to learn from reading Ada Twist, Scientist?
- What did you learn from reading Ada Twist, Scientist?
- Describe the problem faced by Ada and the process she went through to solve it.
- How would you describe Ada? What are her character traits?
- How do Andrea Beaty and David Roberts show Ada‘s curiosity?
- Ada’s curiosity caused problems in the beginning. Do you think her behaviour was acceptable? Explain your answer.
- If you lived with Ada how would you go about answering all her questions?
You can find a full set of 72 comprehension questions for Ada Twist, Scientist available in my TPT Store.
Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Andrea Beaty & David Roberts
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.