After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again by Dan Santat
After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again by Dan Santat is the continuation of Humpty Dumpty, from the egg’s perspective. The book promotes themes of determination, a growth mindset, perseverance and courage.
After his fall from the top of a wall, Humpty Dumpty is put back together at King’s Men Hospital. However, “there were some parts that couldn’t be healed with bandages and glue” and Humpty suffers from anxiety and a fear of heights. This fear prevents him from enjoying his bird watching hobby from his favourite spot on top of the wall.
Humpty Dumpty finds the courage and determination to climb back up the wall and overcomes his fears. “I didn’t look up. I didn’t look down. I just kept climbing. One step at a time… until I was no longer afraid.” Once he reaches the top, he has defeated his fear of height. As he stands on top of the wall, Humpty’s egg cracks and he transforms into a bird.
Growth mindset, overcoming adversity/failure, overcoming fears, determination, perseverance and mental health issues
Famous, grand, folks, managed, eventually, settled, admit, terrified, heights, unfortunately, nervous, damaged, heal
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- What do you already know about Humpty Dumpty?
- Who is telling the story? How do you know?
- What did Humpty mean when he said not all his parts would heal?
- Why do you think Humpty Dumpty had birds on his wall?
- Why did Humpty sleep on the floor?
- What do you notice about the cereals? How do they change from the top to bottom?
- What do you think Humpty Dumpty’s idea is?
- What happened when he reached the top of the wall?
- Why did Dan Santat call the book After the Fall?
- What do you think is the most important part(s) of the story? Why?
You can find a full set of discussion cards in the After the Fall Literacy Bundle or as a separate pack. Click on the images for more information on all the After the Fall activities.
Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Dan Santat
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.