After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again by Dan Santat
After the Fall by Dan Santat is the continuation of Humpty Dumpty, from the egg’s perspective. The book promotes themes of determination, a growth mindset, perseverance and courage. The book also gives opportunities to teach:
- overcoming adversity/failure
- overcoming fears
- mental health issues
After his fall from the top of a wall, Humpty Dumpty is put back together at King’s Men Hospital. However, “there were some parts that couldn’t be healed with bandages and glue” and Humpty suffers from anxiety and a fear of heights. This fear prevents him from enjoying his bird watching hobby from his favourite spot on top of the wall.
Humpty Dumpty finds the courage and determination to climb back up the wall and overcomes his fears. “I didn’t look up. I didn’t look down. I just kept climbing. One step at a time… until I was no longer afraid.” Once he reaches the top, he has defeated his fear of height. As he stands on top of the wall, Humpty’s egg cracks and he transforms into a bird.
After the Fall Resources
After the Fall Graphic Organisers
I have created a literacy pack for After the Fall which includes 250 NO PREP graphic organizers. There are many activities for each literacy area to differentiate depending on your student’s ability/age. They include activities for:
- Asking Questions
- Author’s Purpose
- Cause & Effect
- Character Traits and Analysis
- Compare & Contrast
- Comprehension Questions and Writing Prompts
- Inferring and Predicting
- Main Idea and Theme
- Making Connections
- Point of View
- Problem and Solution
- Retelling, Sequencing and Summarizing
- Story Maps
*Click on these links to discover book recommendations on these topics.
After the Fall Read-Aloud Questions
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- What do you already know about Humpty Dumpty?
- Who is telling the story? How do you know?
- What did Humpty mean when he said not all his parts would heal?
- Why do you think Humpty Dumpty had birds on his wall?
- Why did Humpty sleep on the floor?
- What do you notice about the cereals? How do they change from the top to bottom?
- What do you think Humpty Dumpty’s idea is?
- What happened when he reached the top of the wall?
- Why did Dan Santat call the book After the Fall?
- What do you think is the most important part(s) of the story? Why?
You can find a full set of discussion cards in the After the Fall Literacy Bundle or as a separate pack. Click on the images for more information on all the After the Fall activities.
After the Fall Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Dan Santat
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.