Appreciation Books and Resources for the Classroom
Scroll down to view suggested appreciation books, videos and resources related to appreciating others and the beauty around us.
Teaching Appreciation in the Classroom
Teaching appreciation through picture books promotes the wonder and beauty we see through a book’s words and illustrations. These appreciation books also provide outstanding examples of why we should appreciate the people around us and the things they do.
Appreciation is not about grateful for a gift but the beauty around them and the people with whom they share the planet. It is important for children to understand giving expecting nothing in return.
Characteristics of an Appreciative Attitude
The characteristics of appreciation include:
- Increased wonder about the world around them
- Recognition of what people do for us and others
- Express happiness more easily
- Admire the small things
- Observe what is going on around them
- Value and remember those who have helped them
- Enjoy spending time with family and friends
- Face difficulties with courage
Key Benefits of Appreciation
There are many great reasons for having an appreciative attitude. Balanced children:
- Increase their happiness and positive mood
- Have a positive mindset
- Increase their presence and engagement
- Establish more positive relationships
- Increase their performance and creativity
- Inspire others to appreciate and engage
Appreciation Books and Resources
In this section, you will find appreciation resources to support your students. You will find a list of books, short videos, online resources and reading-related questions.
This selection of books all relate to appreciation You can click on the book cover for a synopsis of the book and further resources. After the list, there is a list of questions to use during a read-aloud session.
Appreciation Discussion Questions
- What does appreciation look like to you?
- What can of things you appreciate?
- How does it make you feel to appreciate something?
- How does it feel when someone appreciates you or things you do?
- How does appreciation affect people and their life?
- How does appreciation affect your community of the wider world?
- How does appreciation affect the environment?
- When and where do you feel more appreciated?
- Art Class Curator: Art appreciation activities
- Art Class Curator: Complete the Picture: An easy art appreciation game
- The Greater Good Science Center: Seven Ways to Foster Gratitude in Kids
- HuffPost: 11 Tips for Instilling True Gratitude in Your Kids
- Happily Daily: The Science Behind Gratitude (and How It Can Change Your Life)
- Jack Canfield: How to Show Appreciation to Others
- PBS Parents: Beyond “Thank You:” Helping Your Five-Year-Old Understand and Express Gratitude
- Mindfulness Exercises for Children: Gratitude for Happiness and Health
Appreciation Discussion Videos
These short videos can be used as discussion starters for talking about appreciation. Watch the video before playing them to your students. Some of them are simple while others are more complex or abstract.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.