A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
“Camilla Cream loved lima beans. But she never ate them. All of her friends hated lima beans, and she wanted to fit in. Camilla was always worried about what other people thought of her.” A mystery ailment causes Camilla to turn into what others think she should be including ‘a bad case of stripes’ and the American Star and Stripes flag.
Friends, family and doctors cannot figure out the problem. It is only when an environmental therapist helps the girl admit the truth she feels confident to be herself and not bow to peer pressure.
A Bad Case of Stripes Book Resources
- The Ned Show: A Bad Case of Stripes activities
- Read Write Think: A Bad Case of Bullying: Using Literature Response Groups
- Reading is Fundamental: Guide for Educators
- Reading Rockets: David Shannon interview
- Scholastic: A Bad Case of Stripes Lesson Plan
- Storyonline: A Bad Case of Stripes Activities
- Teaching Children Philosophy: A Bad Case of the Stripes Guidelines for Philosophical Discussion
I have created a literacy pack for A Bad Case of Stripes which includes 240 NO PREP graphic organizers. There are many activities for each literacy area to differentiate depending on your student’s ability/age. They include activities for:
- Asking Questions
- Author’s Purpose
- Cause & Effect
- Character Traits and Analysis
- Compare & Contrast
- Comprehension Questions and Writing Prompts
- Inferring and Predicting
- Main Idea and Theme
- Making Connections
- Point of View
- Problem and Solution
- Retelling, Sequencing and Summarizing
- Story Maps
*Click on these links to discover book recommendations on these topics.
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- Why do you think Camilla got stripes?
- What do you think will happen when Camilla goes to school?
- What do you think could cure Camilla?
- Why is Camilla so afraid to admit she likes lima beans?
- Why did the old lady give Camilla lima beans?
- During her bad case of the stripes is Camilla still Camila?
- What do you think would have happened if
- Camilla had just eaten the lima beans?
You can find a full set of 40 comprehension cards comprehension questions for A Bad Case of the Stripes available in my TPT Store.
A Bad Case of the Stripes Video
Books by David Shannon
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.