Amazing Books That Inspire Environmental Responsibility
More and more it seems like the younger generation will have to live with the consequences of questionable environmental decisions. Though things are changing, it is not happening quickly enough. It is crucial we inspire environmental responsibility to the children we teach.
Greta Thunberg is a 15-year-old Swedish activist. She gave a powerful speech to the UN about the inaction on climate change. She ended the speech by saying “We have not come here to beg world leaders to care. You have ignored us in the past and you will ignore us again. We have run out of excuses and we are running out of time. We have come here to let you know that change is coming whether you like it or not. The real power belongs to the people.” Powerful stuff!!
Want a picture book about Greta to read in your class? Take a look at the book list below.
As educators and parents, it is our responsibility to help children understand the need for change and the consequences of inaction. While the future of the planet is very political it doesn’t have to be with children.
These picture books focus on different aspects of saving the planet including deforestation, plastic reduction and saving habitats. Other themes include respect, responsibility, open-mindedness and empathy.
Getting Children Involved in Environmental Responsibility
If you want to inspire children’s environmental responsibility further why not try some of these activities and model positive environmental actions.
- Get children involved in recycling, reducing and reusing items where possible.
- Involve children in outdoor activities and appreciate nature, plants, animals and insects. You could get involved in cleaning up your local environment – beaches, parks, etc.
- Do you have a garden or even a window sill? Try some gardening or growing your own food.
- Develop an understanding of how precious water is. Encourage children turn the tap off when they are cleaning their teeth, etc.
- Recycling old clothes and toys. See more details here how you can encourage children to donate their old items.
- Save electricity by turn off lights or plugs when not needed.
Don’t wait for Earth Day, read books about the environment at any time!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.
Picture Books That Inspire
Ada's Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay by Susan Hood
Tree Lady by H. Joseph Hopkins
We Are All Greta: Be inspired by Greta Thunberg to save the world by Valentina Giannella
You can also check out other related posts on Children’s Library Lady below. Finally, you will find some more environment related books, including non fiction from Amazon.