The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba is a powerful picture book that promotes responsible decision-making, perseverance, growth mindset and the environment.
A severe drought in Malawi caused 14-year-old Kamkwamba to drop out of school to save his family money. He researched how he could bring electricity to his village and built a working windmill, made from scraps, that harnessed the wind.
Teaching Resources: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Big Life Journal: How To Raise Resilient Kids Who Never Give Up
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Study Guide
- British Council: How to use inquiry-based learning with young learners
- The Guardian: The Science of Resilience: How to Teach Students to Persevere
- Kids World Travel Guide: Africa Facts
- Reading is Fundamental: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Support Materials and Activities
- Reading is Fundamental: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Guide for Educators
- Teaching Tolerance: STEM at Work
- William Kamkwamba Official Website
- William Kamkwamba Ted Talk: How I Harnessed the Wind
- Take a look inside