36 of the Best Caring Books for Caring Kids
Browse through over 30 caring books that illustrate caring behaviour & kindness. The picture books encourage children to help those in need, be concerned for others and understand how our actions affect people.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.
Caring Books for Caring Kids
In a previous post, The Best Caring Resources To Use In The Classroom, I put together a collection of books, videos and online resources. In this post, I researched a list of over 30 picture books you can use to encourage caring kids in your classroom.
The suggested caring books are perfect for teaching about life lessons, values, empathy, friendships and character development. We want to promote the message that a caring and kind attitude is important, as well as giving them the opportunity to be kind, and to be able to put themselves into someone else’s shoes.
Caring Books for the Classroom
The large selection of the caring books show positive actions, but others highlight negative behaviour that can promote a meaningful discussion about more positive actions.
The caring themes in the caring books below include:
- Standing up for others in need
- Putting themselves into someone else’s shoes
- Being a supportive friend
- Seeing the good in people
- Making the best choice in difficult situations
- Putting others first
- Being considerate
- Respond politely to insults
After the books, there is a list of caring related questions to use during a read-aloud session.
A Symphony of Whales by Steve Schuch
Abdullah's Butterfly by Janine Fraser
An Extraordinary Egg by Leo Lionni
Be Kind by Pat Zietlow Miller
Big Bear Hug by Nicholas Oldland
The Digger and the Flower by Joseph Kuefler
Let's Get a Pup! Said Kate by Bob Graham
Little Bird by Germano Zullo
My Father's Arms Are A Boat by Stein Erik Lunde
The Lion and the Bird Marianne Dubuc
Phileas's Fortune: A Story about Self-Expression by Agnes de Lestrade
The Red Bicycle by Jude Isabella
The Ricker Racker Club by Patrick Guest
The Silence Seeker by Ben Morley
Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
Caring Discussion Questions
- What does it mean to be caring?
- Describe [character’s] caring actions and the consequences?
- In what ways was [character] caring?
- How do caring actions effect [character’s] life?
- What were the consequences to [character] because of a lack of balance?
- In what ways could [character] have been more caring?
- Why is it important [character] tried to be more caring?
- What could [character] have done to be more caring?
- Why did [character] find it difficult to be caring?
Learning through positive examples in your classroom or school is a great way to promote caring behaviour. I hope these caring book suggestions will help especially to discuss ethical dilemmas the characters face and then what your students may face.
Do you have any additional suggestions for caring books for caring kids? Hit the comments and let me know!