The Best Caring Resources To Use In The Classroom
A caring and compassionate attitude evolves through being in an environment of kindness and being on the receiving end of caring actions. Browse through a growing collection of caring resources for your classroom.
Caring Resources for a Caring Classroom
A caring and compassionate attitude evolves through being in an environment of kindness and being on the receiving end of caring actions. Children need to feel the positive effects of treating others with kindness to understand how actions affect others.
As teachers, our classrooms should have a culture of caring and compassion rather than an occasional lesson or assembly. As adults, we can encourage our students to help those in need, be concerned about the happiness of others and understand the perspectives of others.
Among the caring resources below you will find picture books, videos and online resources.
Children who are caring:
- use kind and respectful words
- demonstrate considerate actions
- are empathetic and show concern for others
- value other people’s feelings and want them to be happy
- help people in need without expecting anything in return.
- are sensitive to the needs of others
- take care of their community and environment
- treat others how they would like to be treated.
Characteristics of Caring Children
In this section, you will find a wealth of caring resources to show your students examples of sensitivity and kindness. The resources include picture books, short videos, online resources and caring reading related questions.
Caring Picture Books for a Caring Classroom
Picture books are also a wonderful tool to display and consider caring behaviour. Of the selection below, some books illustrate positive actions, but others highlight negative behaviour that can promote a meaningful discussion about more positive actions. You can discover more caring picture books in the post ‘The Best Caring Books for Caring Kids’.
The caring themes in the books include:
- Standing up for others in need
- Being a supportive friend
- Seeing the good in people
- Making the best choice in difficult situations
- Putting others first
- Being considerate
- Respond politely to insults
Caring Discussion Starts: Questions
- What does it mean to be caring and compassionate?
- Describe [character’s] caring actions and the consequences?
- In what ways was [character] caring?
- How do caring actions effect [character’s] life?
- What were the consequences to [character] because of a lack of balance?
- In what ways could [character] have been more caring?
- Why is it important [character] tried to be more caring?
- What could [character] have done to be more caring and compassionate?
- Why did [character] find it difficult to be caring?
Caring Resources Online
- Character: Celebrating Caring and Kindness lesson plan
- Good Character: Teaching Guide – Caring and Compassion for Grades K-5
- Ned’s Kindness Adventure: Primary and Intermediate lessons focusing on kindness and compassion
- Northern Ireland Curriculum: Caring and Sharing unit
- Scholastic: 13 Ways to Raise a Caring and Compassionate Child
- Scholastic: All About Caring
- Yes*Safe Choices: Tips to Help Teach Caring
Caring Discussion Starters: Videos
These short videos can be used as discussion starters for talking about a caring attitude. Watch the video before playing them to your students. Some of them are simple while others are more complex or abstract.
Learning through positive examples in your classroom is a great way to promote caring behaviour in your students. I hope the resources help fosters this, especially as the benefits for your students include:
- feeling good by increasing their self-esteem
- having a sense of accomplishment
- making connections and building relationships
Remember to check out The Best Caring Books for Caring Kids for even more caring book suggestions.
What books, videos or resources do you to foster a caring environment? Let me know in the comments!
- Children’s Books & Resources for the IB Learner Profile Traits
- 36 of the Best Caring Books for Caring Kids
- 14 of The Best Books To Inspire Acts of Kindness
- How to Use Picture Books to Teach Cause and Effect
- Discover the Benefits of Picture Books for Older Readers
- Picture Books to Inspire Acts of Kindness
- Picture Books Embracing Dynamic Friendships
Disclosure: The Children’s Library Lady website contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through these links, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.