Change Sings Activities and Comprehension Questions
Change Sings: A Children's Anthem by Amanda Gorman promotes how we can take action to make a difference for ourselves and those around us. Read on to find Change Sings activities and comprehension questions to encourage a sense of community and making connections.
A girl issues a call to action to other children to be a force for change in their community. The book gives you the opportunity to promote:
- Activism and social change
- Restoration and a sense of community
- Compassion and hope
- A call to action
You can also use the book to teach:
Scroll down for Change Sings activities, discussion questions and videos.
Change Sings Summary
A young girl with a guitar, is excited to change the world. On a journey around her community, she inspires others to do the same.
On her journey, she enlists other children she meets along the way. They work collaboratively to make positive changes to their neighbourhood, learning how small actions help others and create ripples of kindness in their community.
“I can hear change humming in its loudest, proudest song. I don't fear change coming, and so I sing along.”
Along the way, the diverse group of children learn these changes to improve their community and themselves. They understand social change improves life for everyone.
Change Sings by Amanda Gorman
Illustrator: Loren Long
- Speak Up by Miranda Paul
- Drum Dream Girl by Margarita Engle
- Sofia Valdez, Future Prez by Andrea Beaty
- The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist by Cynthia Levinson
- Mary Wears What She Wants by Keith Negley
- I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy
- We Are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom
- Malala's Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai
- Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport
- Say Something by Peter H Reynolds
Change Sings Activities & Resources
I have created literacy graphic organizers for Change Sings. You can find them at my Teachers Pay Teachers store. There are many activities for each literacy area to differentiate depending on your student’s ability/age. They include activities for:
- Author’s Purpose
- Cause & Effect
- Character Traits and Analysis
- Comprehension Questions and Writing Prompts
- Inferring and Predicting
- Main Idea and Theme
- Making Connections
- Point of View
- Problem and Solution
- Retelling, Sequencing and Summarizing
*Click on these links to discover book recommendations on these topics.
External Change Sings Activities & Links
FREE Change Sings Activities
Would you like free graphic organisers for Change Sings?
I have a freebie that is part of a larger resource so you can try it out before buying anything!
Fill in the form below to get access to the FREE pack. Click on the image to see the full pack on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Change Sings Read-Aloud Questions
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- Now that you have read the book, what do you think “Change Sings” means?
- What does ‘change’ make you think of?
- How do Martin Luther King’s actions relate to the message of “Change Sings”?
- “Change sings where? There! Inside me. Because I'm the change I want to see.” What does this mean to you?
- What is an anthem? Why do you think Change Sings is called “a children’s anthem?”
- What young people do you know who have made a difference and changed our world?
- What change does the girl want for her community and the world?
- What have you done to make a change for someone else? Why did you do this? What was the effect?
- Do you think the children will continue to make a difference? Make some suggestions of what they could do.
- The author, Amanda Gorman, believes every child could make a difference. How can you make a difference in the world?
You can find a full set of discussion cards in the Change Sings Literacy Bundle or as a separate pack.
Change Sings Videos
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.