Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Chrysanthemum loves her name but on her first day of school, she gets teased for its uniqueness. She tells her parents “School is no place for me… My name is too long. It scarcely fits on my name tag. And I’m named after a flower.” But when her music teacher reveals she is naming her baby Chrysanthemum, everyone wants to change their name to a flower.
Series: Kevin Henkes has a collection of mice character books – A Weekend with Wendell; Sheila Rae, the Brave; Chester’s Way; Julius, the Baby of the World; Chrysanthemum; Owen; Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse; Wemberly Worried; Lilly’s Big Day; Penny and Her Song; Penny and Her Doll; Penny and Her Marble
Teaching Resources: Chrysanthemum
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- CPalms: A Closer Look at Characterization Utilizing Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
- CPalms: Close Reading: Chrysanthemum
- Kevin Henkes Offical Website
- Kevin Henkes Website: The World of Kevin Henkes Activity Booklet
- Read Works: Chrysanthemum lesson plan
- Scholastic: Discussion Guide
- Scholastic: Extension Activities
- Teacher Vision: Chrysanthemum Lesson Plans
- WITS Program: Questions and Activities
- Take a look inside
Books by Kevin Henkes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.