Dreamers by Yuyi Morales
Author and illustrator, Yuyi Morales, uses her own experiences of migrating from Mexico to America in 1994 in the picture book Dreamers. Travelling with her young son they finally arrive on America soil. They face many cultural challenges, including learning a new language and new customs.
Her visits to San Francisco Public Library and its wealth of wonderful books offer an opportunity to learn about this new, strange country. Book after book she learns about new customs, learns to speak English and also finds a new career. Through support and her own perseverance, she and her son can call America their new home. There is a Spanish version of Dreamers called Soñadores.
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Holiday House: Dreamers Educator’s Guide
- Holiday House: Dreamers Event Kit
- Library Lessons with Books: Dreamers By Yuyi Morales
- Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Making of Dreamers: Yuyi Morales’ Photo Essay
- Share My Lesson: Book Discussion Guide
- Share My Lesson: Immigration Lesson Plans and Resources
Books by Yuyi Morales
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.