Fun Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
What better time to to get hands-on and crafty with Valentine’s Day almost upon us. Before I go into the amazing, creative ideas below I wanted to share some of the Valentine’s Day traditions around the world.
- Denmark: The Danish exchange pressed white flowers called Snowdrops.
- Norway: Cards called ‘gaekkebrev’ are sent anomalously to loved ones
- France: Now banned, ‘loterie d’amour’ was a tradition where men and women were paired off. If a man didn’t like his new partner he chooses another one. The women left behind would burn images of these men and shout insults.
- Japan and South Korea: Valentine’s Day is for women to give gifts to their love. The tradition flips in March when on White Day men return the favour. South Koreans extended the holiday into April when singles celebrate their life with their single friends by eating noodles called ‘jajangmyeon’.
- Wales: Intricate love spoons are given as a gift on 25th January on St Dwynwen day, the Welsh patron saint of lovers. The pattern on the spoon signifies different meanings and are also exchanged at other celebrations.
- China: The Seventh Night Festival, called Qixi is the Chinese equivalent to Valentine’s Day. Offerings are made to Zhinu and Niulang, who in Chinese folklore fell in love but were only able to see each other once a year.
- England: Historically English women placed five bay leaves under their pillow on the night before Valentine’s Day. They would wake up having dreamt of their future husband.
- Philippines: Many couples in the Philippines partake in mass weddings on Valentine’s Day.
- Brazil: Dia dos Namorados (Lovers’ Day) is held on June 12th and they celebrate by giving gifts to family friends and relatives.
- South Africa: Women literally wear their heart on their sleeves on Valentine’s Day. They write the name of their secret love on a heart and pin it to their sleeve
I hope you enjoy the craft activities below. Let me know in the comments if you tried any.
Valentine's Day Crafts
Valentine Shaving Cream Heart Art with Kids
Valentine’s Newspaper Heart Postcards
I would love to know if you tried any of these wonderful craft activities. Let me know in the comments.