Four Feet, Two Sandals by Karen Lynn Williams
Four Feet, Two Sandals by Karen Lynn Williams is a poignant picture book that promotes a sense of belonging, compassion, friendship and social awareness.
Lina lives in a Peshawar refugee camp on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. Relief workers unload donated clothing to the desperate crowds of refugees. Lina finds a sandal that when she puts it on is a perfect fit. She sees another girl, Feroza wearing the matching sandal. They build a friendship and share the sandals, wearing them on alternate days.
Their friendship grows as they fetch water from the well, watch children study at the boy’s only school and share their dreams and hardships. Lina and her mother are chosen to emigrate to America. She gives her sandal to Feroza as her mother has saved enough for a pair of new shoes. But Feroza hands it back telling Lina they will share the sandals again one day.
Four Feet, Two Sandals Resources
- Economic Education: Four Feet, Two Sandals lesson plan
- Eerdmans Books: Four Feet, Two Sandals discussion guide
- Karen Lynn Williams Website: Teacher’s Guide for Four Feet, Two Sandals
- Karen Lynn Williams Website: Interview with Karen Lynn Williams and Khadra Mohammed
- Learning to Give: Refugees: Finding a Place (K-2)
Four Feet, Two Sandals Videos
Books by Karen Lynn Williams & Khadra Mohammed
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.