Grandfather’s Journey by Allan Say
“My grandfather was a young man when he left his home in Japan and went to see the world.” Say writes about his grandfather’s journey across the Pacific Ocean and his travels in America. He returns to Japan to marry his childhood sweetheart. He takes her to America to have a family but longs to return to Japan. Once back in Japan, his daughter marries and Allen Say was born.
Teaching Resources: Grandfather’s Journey
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Doors to the World: Grandfather’s Journey Mini-Unit Plan
- Houghton Mifflin: Houghton Mifflin Reading: Grandfather’s Journey
- Learning to Give: Sharing and Caring Across Generations
- NCCIL: Allen Say biography
- Scholastic: Grandfather’s Journey Extension Activities
- Share My Lesson: Immigration lesson plans and resources
- Tripline: Timeline of Grandfather’s Journey
- Weston Woods: Grandfather’s Journey book activities
- Take a Look Inside
Books by Allen Say
Disclosure: The Children’s Library Lady website contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through these links, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.
- How to Use Picture Books to Teach Cause & Effect
- Fun and Educational Cause and Effect Activities Children will Love
- Discover the Benefits of Picture Books for Older Readers
- 6 Powerful Strategies on How to Choose Books to Read
- Children’s Books & Resources for the IB Learner Profile Traits
- 18 of the Best Children’s Books about Identity
- Identity Books and Resources for the Classroom