Here We Are by Oliver Jeffers
- Our responsibility to the Earth, its occupants and environment
- Humans and our connections to the Earth
- Different species and how we should care for them
- A sense of belonging and community
How the world works
Oliver Jeffers’ inspiration behind Here We Are was his new son, Harland, and his desire to introduce him to “the big globe, floating in space, on which we live”. He offers notes on how to live on planet Earth, helping the reader make sense of the world and their role in it. Here We Are encompasses the mountains and oceans, space and constellations, and the animals and people who populate the Earth.
The handwritten facts throughout the book are a gentle plea to care for the planet and each other. “People come in many shapes, sizes and colours. We may all look different, act different and sound different… but don’t be fooled, we are all people.”
Planet, Earth, floating, globe, space, tour, complicated, fooled, plenty
- Additional No Outsiders Resources: Here We Are Lesson Plan
- CLPE: Recovery Curriculum for Primary Schools based on Here We Are
- HarperCollins Children’s Books: Lesson Activities
- HapperCollins Children’s Books: Have a Listen
- Scottish Book Trust: Authors Live Oliver Jeffers
- Scottish Book Trust: Oliver Jeffers Downloads
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators. Find more information at A List of Quality Questions for Reading Comprehension.
- What do you think this book is about? Explain.
- Who is the author and /or illustrator?
- Why does Oliver Jeffers use labels and arrows in the illustrations?
- “There is enough for everyone’. What does Oliver Jeffers mean by this statement?
- What is the message of Here We Are? How do you know?
- What does Oliver Jeffers mean when he says “we haven’t quite worked everything out, so there is plenty left for you to do”?
- Can you think of another book Here We Are reminds you of?
- Do the illustrations help you understand the story? How?
You can find a set of discussion cards in the Here We Are Literacy Bundle.
Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Oliver Jeffers
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.