The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers
The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers is a tasty picture book about cause and effect, reflection, self-management and knowledge.
“Henry loved books. But not like you and I love books, no. Not quite… Henry loved to EAT books.” One afternoon Henry began by eating just a word, then a sentence, followed by a page and then a whole book in one go. He couldn’t get enough of eating books. “But here is the best bit: The more he ate, the smarter he got.” Henry continued eating more books, sometimes four at a time, hoping to become the smartest person on Earth.
“But then things started going not so well… He was beginning to feel a little ill.” All his knowledge was getting mixed up and letters and words were leaking out of his mouth. Downhearted, he picked up a book and actually read it. “Henry discovered that he loved to read. And he thought if he read enough he might still become the smartest person on Earth. it would just take a bit longer.”
- Queensland Performing Arts Trust: Learning Activities
- Reading is Fundamental: The Incredible Book Eating Boy Support Materials
- Reading Zone: Oliver Jeffers Discussions and Activities
- School Zone: The Incredible Book Eating Boy discussion ideas and activities
- Scottish Book Trust: Authors Live Oliver Jeffers
- Teaching Ideas: Teaching Ideas and Resources
The Incredible Book Eating Boy Videos
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.