Julian is a Mermaid by Jessica Love
“This is a boy named Julian. And this is his abuela. And those are some mermaids. Julian LOVES mermaids.” Travelling home on the subway train, Julian sees three spectacular ladies. Dressed for a parade in mermaid-like costumes their happiness is contagious. While abuela takes a shower Julian creates a mermaid outfit using yellow curtains and a fern plant.
He imagines swimming with sea creatures and transforming into a mermaid. He proudly shows off his design to his abuela. She pauses and Julian wonders how she will react. She adds beads to finish the outfit and takes him to the parade, joining others in their fabulous costumes.
Julian is a Mermaid (2019), Julian at the Wedding (2020)
Julian is a Mermaid Resources
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Cast of Thousands: Book activities
- CLPE: Teaching Ideas
- The Children’s Book Podcast: Audio interview with Jessica Love
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation: Julián is a Mermaid – Understanding Gender Expression
- Read Across America: Questions for Discussion or Reflective Writing
- Seven Stories: Learning activities
- Walker Books: Classroom Ideas
- University of Florida: Diverse Families Children’s Literature Lesson Plan
Julian is a Mermaid Video
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.