Just a Dream by Chris Van Allsburg
Just a Dream by Chris Van Allsburg is a cautionary picture book that deals with cause and effect, environmental issues, integrity and responsible decision-making.
“Walter dumped everything into one can, He was too busy to sort through garbage, especially when there was something good on television.” Walter litters, he doesn’t sort the trash and he laughs at his neighbour for planting a tree.
One night he dreams of a nightmare future. It affects a major change in Walter. Once the reformed Walter understands everyone needs to respect the environment he dreams of an alternative, more positive future.
Just a Dream Resources
- BBC Bitesize: What should I do with my rubbish?
- Houghton Mufflin: Just a Dream Teacher guide
- Laura Candler: Prep Activities for Just a Dream by Chris Van Allsburg
- Learning to Give: Just a Dream Literature Guide
- Learning to Give: The Four R's: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, RESPECT!
- Reading Rockets: Chris Van Allsburg interview
- Take a look inside
Books by Chris Van Allsburg
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.