King of the Sky by Nicola Davies
King of the Sky by Nicola Davies is a touching picture book that promotes themes of belonging, friendship, immigration, loneliness, moving and patience.
A lonely, Italian boy moves to the Welsh countryside. He develops an unexpected friendship with an old man who races pigeons. This new friendship helps him feel like he is no longer a stranger and that he belongs in his new home. “Just one thing reminded me of home… It was Mr Evans’ pigeons in their loft behind my house, cooing as if they strutted in St. Peter’s Square in Rome.”
King of the Sky Resources
- Amnesty: Exploring Human Rights Through Picture Books
- CLPE: King of the Sky Teaching Sequence
- CLPE: Teaching Ideas
- Llangiwg Primary School: Resources for Teachers and Classes Supporting the Exploring of The King of the Sky
- Walker Books: King of the Sky Teacher Notes
- Walker Books: Spot the cat among the pigeons
King of the Sky Videos
Books by Nicola Davies & Laura Carlin
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.