Pig the Pug by Aaron Blabey
Pig the Pug by Aaron Blabey gives teachers the opportunity to discuss:
- Greed and selfishness
- Sharing and cooperation
- Character traits and contrasting personalities
- Consequences of negative behaviour.
Pig is the greediest Pug in the world. He is bad-tempered, rude and he never ever shares his balls, bones and chew toys. Trevor, a friendly wiener dog, is Pig’s roommate and is always trying to persuade Pig to share all the toys. But Pig says NO!
Pig gathers all his toys and puts them into a huge pile to keep them away from Trevor. But, his greed and selfishness backfires when he climbs on top of the toys and… falls out of the window! Pig returns in a full-body cast and ‘kindly’ lets Trevor play with the toys while he recovers.
Sharing, friendships, personality differences, greed, selfishness
Greedy, selfish, flat, loud, swear, grumble, proceeded, gathered, howled, loot, scoot, satisfied, gathered, wobbling
Pig the Pug Series
- Aaron Blabey: Picture Book Maker profile
- Glorious Goods: Explore the Pig the Pug Series with these Writing Tasks
- HuffPost: 6 Ways To Help Your Child Learn To Share
- Lamont Books: Pig the Pug Teacher Notes and Activities
- Scholastic AU: Pig the Pug Teacher Notes
- Victoria Government: Teaching spelling: foundation to level 2 with Pig the Pug.
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- Why is the dog called Pig?
- What do you think the book dedication means?
- What do you think Aaron Blabey wanted us to learn from reading Pig the Pug?
- How would you describe Pig and Trevor? What are their unique character traits?
- Why do you think Pig didn’t want to share?
- Why do you think Trevor is always nice to Pig?
- Describe how Pig could have handled the sharing situation differently.
- Now Pig is in a cast, do you think he is really friends with Trevor? Explain your answer.
Find these questions and more in the Pig the Pug Literacy Bundle or as separate pack.
Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Aaron Blabey
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.