Talking to Young Children about Pride Month
Promote Acceptance, Not Discrimination
- GLSEN provides a collection of Key Concepts and Terms “designed to provide a basic understanding of words, phrases and ideas related to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people and their experiences.”
- Helen Zaltzman hosts podcast The Allusionst. The episode Allusionist 12: Pride explore the origins of the term ‘Pride’. You will also find additional links on the history of the Pride movement.
- Mashable: 5 ways parents can talk to kids about LGBTQ identity
- Stonewall: Promoting Different Families
- Stonewall: Poster illustrating different family units
Listen Without Judgement
If a child wants to discuss LGBT identity, listen with an open mind. Listening without judgement provides them with a safe space to express themselves. As adults, it is our responsibility to use a positive attitude rather than discriminatory stereotypes.
- Slate’s series Outwards aims to expand the LGBTQ conservation, including the article The Straight Parents’ Guide to How Not to Raise a Homophobe—and How to Be a Better Ally
Keep it Simple and Honest
- Planned Parenthood: What should I teach my elementary school aged child about identity?
- Planned Parenthood: How do I talk with my elementary school aged child about sex and sexuality?
- The Gay Straight Alliance sets out Ten Ways Homophobia Affects Straight People.
- A Mighty Girl: True Colors: Mighty Girl Books for Pride Month
- Educate & Celebrate: PRIDE in Early Years Education
- Educate & Celebrate: PRIDE in Primary Education
- Encyclopedia Britannica: LGBT Pride Month Is Here
- LGBT Foundation: Advice Support and Information
- LGBT History Month: LGBT History Month Resources
- LGBT History Month: Resources for Schools
- LGBT Trailblazers: A Pride Month Curriculum For Kids
- National Education Union: LGBT Equality in Education – advice for members with guidance for school representatives’
- The Proud Trust: Educational Resources
- The Proud Trust: LGBT History Month
- Psychology Today: LGTBQ+ Pride Month: Why Tolerance Isn’t Enough
- Queer Kids Stuff: “Queer Kid Stuff imagines a kinder and more equal future through highly-accessible education and entertainment for kids ages 3+”
- Rainbow Teaching: Free support and guidance to teachers and school staff
- Rainbow Teaching: Assemblies and PSHE resources
- Safe @ School: Lesson Plans and Tool Kits
- Schools Out: Resources
- School Wellbeing: LGBT* History Month Religion, Belief & Philosophy
- Stonewall: Rainbow Laces
- Stonewall: Primary Schools
- Stonewall: “Resources to tackle homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in education environments and help create more inclusive spaces.” Stonewall also made the film FREE “about friendship, families and the importance of being yourself”.
- Teaching Tolerance: Celebrate LGBT Pride Month With Perspectives!
- TES: LGBT History Month
6 Great Books to Celebrate Pride Month
*Disclosure: Amazon, Book Depository and Waterstones buttons are affiliate links. I will earn a small percentage of any purchases made. It won’t cost you anything!