Step by Step Tutorial for Printing on Post-It Notes (Plus Free Template!)
Printing on Post-It Notes is a great way for teachers to save time or deliver lessons in different ways. Follow the step by step directions below and get the free template.
Printing on Post-It Notes
Knowing how to print on Post-It Notes is handy for many teachers, whether it is because you hate to rewrite notes or you want to inspire your students by doing activities or assessments in a different way. Canva is a wonderful tool to use for your classroom resources. I have used it for years and love to create unique and personalised notes specific to my needs.
As I was working on my latest Teachers Pay Teachers resource I decided to add an inference resource using Post-It Notes. This is why I have made a shareable template in Canva.
You need a free Canva or pro account to use the templates. Once you have accessed the templates you can edit without changing the original.
Post-It Notes has a huge selection of resources for educators and you can buy Post-It Notes from Amazon.
You can use any printer to print on sticky notes. I use an HP Envy printer with Instant Ink. My printer is a few years old and still going strong. This printer is the most comparable with my printer which has been a wonderful purchase.
Tutorial for Printing on Post-It Notes
GET THE TEMPLATE
- I have created templates for A4 and US Letter size, in Canva. You can use these templates to create your own post-it note designs.
You can always find the templates in the Free Resources Library.
- Click on the links and you will see a template created by Kirsten Gallagher. At the bottom, click on ‘Use Template’ and Canva will make a completely new version for you to edit straight away.
- You will see two templates, one for 3×3” and 2×2” post-it notes.
Buy Post-It Notes from Amazon
DESIGN YOUR PERSONALISED NOTES
- First of all, it is a good idea to rename the template.
- Then duplicate the first page by clicking on the icon on the top right-hand side above each page.
- In the video, I use the second page to work on and leave page 1 as the blank template.
- Use the options on the left hand side, including Elements and Fonts to create your design. In the video, I am searching for FREE speech bubbles. There are loads more options if you have the Canva Pro Account.
- Make sure your design fits inside the box.
- Once you are finished, remove the boxes from around the design so you are left with only your design.
Canva Design Help
Getting started with Canva
A step-by-step guide to designing from scratch
DOWNLOAD TEMPLATE AND DESIGN
- Once you are happy with your design you are ready to print.
- At the top right hand side of Canva you will see the download button .
- Select to print pages 1 & 2 and click DONE and then click DOWNLOAD and they will download as a pdf file.
PRINT BLANK TEMPLATE
- Print the blank template first.
- Click File → Print.
- Under the pages options enter 1-1 to only print off the blank page.
ADD POST-IT NOTES TO TEMPLATE
- Stick the post-it notes onto the blank template. Peel the notes from the side of the sticky edge this way the notes will stick flat.
- Make sure the sticky side is at the top so will go into the printer first. If the notes are upside down or sideways you will have a printer jam.
PRINT YOUR DESIGN
- Place this sheet in the printer tray. Check your printer for whether the paper needs to go right side up on upside down.
- When printing on Post-It Notes make sure the sticky edge goes into the printer first otherwise you will end up with a paper jam.
- Go back to the PDF file and this time print only page 2.
- Hopefully, you will have a set of 6 post-it notes of your design.
- Remove the sticky notes from the blank template so you can use it again.. You can then print more or go back and change your design.
- If the design doesn’t work out the first time just try again.
Printing on sticky notes can save you time by making:
- Personalised notes
- To-do lists
- Notes of encouragement
- Journal prompts
Once you get started you will find loads of ways you can use personalised Post-It Notes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.