Classroom Resources for International Women's Day
International Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8 every year and it is celebrated all over the world. This post is stocked full of related resources and teaching tools. Though of course, you can use the resources all year round.
International Women’s Day is celebrated globally on March 8. Explore resources and teaching tools for the classroom you can use all year round to promote girls in STEM.
A Mighty Girl is a great website full of “books, toys and movies for smart, confident, and courageous girls.” My favourite posts are those related to Mighty Girl costumes. Take a look at great examples of outfits, also a great inspiration for World Book Day costumes.
Rebel Girls has produced great short videos on fairy tales with men in the role of the “lead” character. Their youtube channel also includes a video highlighting the “ugly truth” about female book characters, or the lack of them.
International Women's Day Resources
In this section, you will find a wealth of resources for International Women’s Day. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- British Council: How to approach teaching gender equality to boys and girls
- Distinguished Women: Distinguished Women of Past and Present biographies
- The Guardian: Books for girls, about girls: the publishers trying to balance the bookshelves
- Girl Guiding: Promoting Girls’ Voices
- National Girls Collaborative Project: Engaging Girls in STEM
- PBS Parents: Raising a Girl with a Positive Body Image
- The American Association of University Women: Hands-On STEM Resources for Girls
- Carnegie STEM Girls: STEM Resources
- Felt Tip Pen: Art resources for International Women’s Day
- International Women’s Day: International Women’s Day downloadable resources
- Into Film: International Women’s Day resources
- National Union of Teachers: Boys’ Things and Girls’ Things
- Principi a Space Diary: A Guide to Engaging Girls in STEM
- Scholastic: Girls Rock STEM
- Status of Women Canada: Learning Activities
- Teach Thought: 40 Important STEM Resources For Women
- UN Women: International Women’s Day Schools Kit
- WeTech: STEM Resources for Women and Girls
- Women in Sport: Changing the Game, for Girls
Discussion Starters: Videos
These short videos can be used as discussion starters for talking about women and equality. Watch the video before playing them to your students. Some of them are simple while others are more complex or abstract.
Remember to check out 18 of the Best Books about Inspiring Women.
How do you celebrate International Women’s Day and girls in STEM in your classroom? Can you recommend any resources? Let me know in the comments below. It would be great to have a selection of new resources for when I update this post.
Feminist Books & Gifts
More Books to Explore
The Children’s Library Lady has over 450 picture books on large variety of topics. You will find specific book, author and illustrator information, as well as resources. You can also browse themed books lists and explore all the books on the website. Click on the book covers below to start exploring what the website has to offer.