30 of the Best Picture Books about Respect
Help children to respect themselves, other people and the world around them with these books about respect. Explore characters showing respect, acceptance of differences, using respectful words and respecting the environment.
Respectful Picture Books in the Classroom
Teaching children to respect themselves, other people, and the world around them is crucial. Children learn about respect continuously from the actions of others. It is important for us to model a respectful attitude for children to learn from. Using picture books is a great way to teach respecting ourselves, accepting differences, using respectful words and respecting the environment.
These books illustrate respectful behaviour and will help children look at situations from the perspective of others. They show characters who are:
- polite and use their manners
- able to treat others as they wish to be treated
- respectful of their environment
- respectful of the property of others
- good listeners
- helpful and kind
- able to put themselves in the shoes of others
- willing to reflect on how their actions affect others
Of course, some books about respect illustrate disrespectful characters and the consequences of their negative behaviour.
Picture Books about Respect
Flat Rabbit by Bárður Oskarsson
I, Doko: The Tale of a Basket by Ed Young
Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
Lon Po Po by Ed Young
Smoky Night by Eve Bunting
This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
The Weasel Puffin Unicorn Baboon Pig Lobster Race by James Thorp
You Hold Me Up by Monique Gray Smith
Questions to Use with Books about Respect
- How does being respectful/disrespectful affect relationships with others?
- How do you feel when other people respect/disrespect you?
- What are some characteristics of respectful behaviour?
- What does it mean to respect ourselves?
- How do you show respect to others?
- Do we deserve respect or do we have to earn it?
- Should you show respect to others even if you don’t like them? Explain your answer.
- Was [character] respectful/disrespectful? What is your evidence?
- How did [character] earn other people’s respect?
- How were [character’s] actions towards the environment respectful?
- Why was it important that [character] felt respected?
- Why was it important that [character] showed respect?
- In what ways did [character] show respect?
- How did [character] feel when they were disrespected by [character]?
- How should [character] have responded when they were disrespected?
- Why do you think [character] was disrespectful?
- When [character] was rude, they said they were only joking. Does this make their behaviour okay? Explain.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.