Ruby's Wish by Shirin Yim
Ruby lives with her grandfather who “did what rich men did in old China: he married many wives.” A tutor teaches his 100 grandchildren but Ruby is the only girl who wishes to continue her education rather than marry.
Teaching Resources: Ruby's Wish
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- British Council: Chinese New Year lesson
- British Council: How to approach teaching gender equality to boys and girls
- Chronicle Books: Ruby’s Wish Teacher’s Guide
- Equality and Human Rights Commission: Explore a wide range of jobs that challenge preconceptions
- Read Works Classic: Analyzing Character Conflict Caused by the Plot
- Read Works Classic: Predicting a Solution to a Problem
- Scottish Government: Gender Equality – A Toolkit for Education Staff
- Sophie Blackall Official Website
- Teaching Children Philosophy: Guidelines for Philosophical Discussion
- Take a look inside
Books by Shirin Yim & Sophie Blackall
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.