Ruby Finds Worry by Tom Percival
Ruby is a happy, curious girl until, one day, she finds a worry. It wasn’t all that big, but it stayed with her all day. As no one else could see her Worry Ruby tried to ignore it. But the Worry followed her everywhere, stopping her doing the things she loved. Soon her Worry was ENORMOUS and overwhelmed her until it was all she could think about. What Ruby didn’t realise was this is the worst thing you can do with a Worry.
She spotted a sad boy in the park with something hovering behind him. He had Worry too! She asked the boy if he wanted to share his problems and as the boy talked his Worry shrank. When Ruby talked to the boy her Worry got smaller and smaller until it disappeared. Ruby finally felt like herself again. And even though a Worry still appears every now and again, she knows how to get rid of them.
discovered, enormous, unexpected, hovering, tumbled, shrink, pretended, explore, rid, noticed, worry
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- How can you tell how Ruby feels about the Worry?
- What advice would you give to help Ruby with her Worry?
- Why did the Worry stop Ruby doing the things she loved?
- What could Ruby do to make herself happy again?
- What do you think Ruby thinks when she sees the boy?
- What happened when Ruby and the boy talked about their Worry?
- What helps us feel better when we are worried?
- How does Ruby get rid of her Worry?
Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Tom Percival
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.