School Diversity Week
School Diversity Week (2-5 July 2018) celebrates LGBT+ equality in education. Organised by charity Just Like Us the event supports empowerment to challenge LGBT+ prejudices. “Just Like Us was founded for a simple reason: growing up LGBT+ is still one of the most challenging experiences young people can face. We believe the best way to support LGBT+ young people is to make sure they hear powerful positive messages about being LGBT+ from other LGBT+ young people, just a little older and little wiser.” (Just Like Us) Just Like Us provides advice to schools and a free teacher toolkit.
I have selected four great LGBT+related books to highlight. Scroll to the bottom of the page for additional books on identity.
School Diversity Week Resources
- Appreciate Diversity Month: 88 Ways to Celebrate Appreciate Diversity Month
- British Council: Nine ways to celebrate diversity
- Devon County Council: Cultural Diversity Pack for out of school settings
- The Hub: How to Promote Equality and Diversity in the Classroom
- Just Like Us: School Diversity Week information
- Just Like Us: School Diversity Week Toolkit
- Just One Day: Harmony Day and Diversity Week Ideas
- Kid Activities: Archive for category: Diversity/Multi-Cultural
- Kids Matters Australia: Cultural Diversity and Children’s Wellbeing
- Newsweek: Kids Need Diversity in Books to Prepare Them For the Real World
- Teaching Tolerance: Appreciating and Celebrating Diversity Learning Plan
- Scholastic: Multiculturalism and Diversity
- Seven Stories: Diverse Voices Free Project Packs
- Victoria State Government: Cultural Diversity Week Teachers’ Resource Kit
*Disclosure: Amazon, Book and Depository buttons are affiliate links. I will earn a small percentage of any purchases made. It won’t cost you anything!