Social & Emotional Learning:
What is Self-Awareness?
Children who show self-awareness consider the effect of emotions on themselves and others. They reflect how these feelings influence their choices and any repercussions.
Self-awareness allows them the ability to recognise what triggers their emotions. For example, can they pinpoint what makes them angry, sad, jealous, etc,? This awareness helps them deal with their emotions in positive ways. It also helps children recognise the feelings of others and that people may view them differently than they see themselves.
Another self-awareness characteristic is learning their strengths, limitations and personal preferences. This allows them to develop these strengths, learn from their mistakes and seek support.
- Identify and verbalise emotions
- Recognise the needs and feelings of others
- Know how other people see them
- Recognise and build on strengths and limitations
- Deal with strengths and limitations with confidence and optimism
- Explore and use different learning styles
- Understand how emotions and thoughts influence behaviour
- Understand what triggers emotions
- Recognise emotions and the consequences of actions
- Act on thoughts and feelings in positive ways
- Self reflect on work and make changes
- Learn from mistakes and seek support
Self-Awareness Books & Resources
Click on the images below to explore self-awareness book lists You will picture book recommendations, website suggestions, lesson plans and much more!
Self-Awareness Books for the Classroom
More Books to Explore
The Children’s Library Lady has over 450 picture books on large variety of topics. You will find specific book, author and illustrator information, as well as resources. You can also browse themed books lists and explore all the books on the website. Click on the book covers below to start exploring what the website has to offer.
Like this post? Pin it & share the love!
Africa Book List Africa Book List Africa Book List Africa Book List Africa Book List