Social and Emotional Learning Hub
What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) helps students integrate positive behaviours, attitudes and skills into their daily lives. Children are not born with the ability to manage their emotions in positive ways. Here are some of the ways social and emotional learning will help your students:
- cooperate with others and manage conflict
- develop and retain positive relationships with peers and adults
- recognise and manage emotions
- have a sense of purpose
- be resilient
- set and achieve positive goals
- take on board perspectives of others
- show empathy and kindness for others
- make responsible decisions
- increase appropriate and positive behaviour
- reduce and deal with stress
- improve their attitude towards school and learning
- organise their time and tasks
Social and Emotional Learning Resources and Books
RESPONSIBLE DECISION-MAKING: “The ability to make constructive and respectful choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on consideration of ethical standards, safety concerns, social norms, the realistic evaluation of consequences of various actions, and the well-being of self and others.” CASEL
RELATIONSHIP SKILLS: “The ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups. This includes communicating clearly, listening actively, cooperating, resisting inappropriate social pressure, negotiating conflict constructively, and seeking and offering help when needed.” CASEL
SELF-AWARENESS: “The ability to accurately recognize one’s emotions and thoughts and their influence on behavior. This includes accurately assessing one’s strengths and limitations and possessing a well-grounded sense of confidence and optimism.” CASEL
SELF-MANAGEMENT: “The ability to regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations. This includes managing stress, controlling impulses, motivating oneself, and setting and working toward achieving personal and academic goals.” CASEL
SOCIAL AWARENESS: “The ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others from diverse backgrounds and cultures, to understand social and ethical norms for behavior, and to recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.” CASEL
There are many ways to promote the different areas of social and emotional learning (SEL). Let me know how you promote it in your classroom.
- Do you embed SEL in your lessons and activities?
- How do you display the SEL areas in your classroom?
- How do you model social and emotional learning in your own actions?
- What are your favourite picture books to highlight different SEL traits?
- What SEL resources do you regularly use in the classroom?
Did you enjoy this post? Why not share it!
Latest from the blog
No post found