Sparrow Girl by Sara Pennypacker
In 1958, the Chinese government ordered the eradication of all sparrows. They were blamed for destroying the nation’s wheat crop. But the consequence of their disappearance brought on a plague of locust, destroying all the crops.
Ming Li, is a compassionate and determined girl, who rescues seven sparrows before the cull. She cares for, then frees the birds. The sparrows kill the locust and save the village from a devastating famine.
Teaching Resources: Sparrow Girl
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- 4 – 6 Literature: Reading and Discussion
- Art Design Primary School Teaching: The Sparrow Girl Learning Plan
- Beyond the Bookends: Lesson Plan
- Sara Pennypacker Website: Sparrow Girl background information
- Scholastic: Sara Pennypacker Discusses Sparrow Girl
- Wild Geese Guides: Discussion Ideas
- Yoko Tanaka Official Website
- Take a look inside
Books by Sara Pennypacker & Yoko Tanaka
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.