Stuck by Oliver Jeffers
Everything was just fine until Floyd got his kite stuck in a tree. He pulled and tugged and swung, but the kite stayed stuck in the tree. Floyd thought throwing his shoe to dislodge the kite would work, but it didn’t. So he threw his other shoe into the tree, but that didn’t work either. Floyd attempts to use more and more outrageous objects (and people) to free the kite!
A frustrated Floyd gets more inventive in trying to get his kite back. He throws up a door, a milkman, an orangutan, an ocean liner, a whale, a fire engine and much more! Then the kite suddenly falls from the tree (because it is full!) Floyd is delighted and runs off to play. Exhausted he goes to bed sure he has forgotten something. Through his window, we see all the items he flung into the tree still there.
cumulative story, frustration, cause & effect, perseverance, problem & solution
Unbelievably, fetched, ridiculous, flung, orangutan, rhinoceros, lads, commotion
- The Guardian: Oliver Jeffers: a gallery of great children’s books
- Reading Zone: Oliver Jeffers Discussions and Activities
- Scholastic: Understanding Cause and Effect Lesson Plan
- Scottish Book Trust: Authors Live Oliver Jeffers
- Scottish Book Trust: Oliver Jeffers Downloads
- Teaching Ideas: Teaching Ideas and Resources
Read aloud sessions are a wonderful way for children to understand the connection between written text and spoken language. You can model reading habits and strategies, reading fluency, tone and eye contact. You can also introduce different genres, authors and illustrators.
- Look at the cover. Why is the word ‘Stuck’ tangled in the tree
- What do you think the story will be about?
- How could you go about removing stuck objects from a tree?
- What is Floyd thinking and feeling? How do you know?
- Why does Floyd think the situation is getting ridiculous?
- What will Floyd do with the ladder?
- What is Floyd going to do with the saw?
- What do you think the fireman’s idea is?
- What would you have done in Floyd’s place?
- How do you think all the different things got out of the tree?
You can find a full set discussion cards in the Stuck Literacy Bundle.
Book Trailers & Videos
Books by Oliver Jeffers
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.