Celebrate Pride Month with Wonderful Picture Books
Promote Acceptance, Not Discrimination
- GLSEN provides a collection of Key Concepts and Terms “designed to provide a basic understanding of words, phrases and ideas related to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people and their experiences.”
- Helen Zaltzman hosts podcast The Allusionst. The episode Allusionist 12: Pride explore the origins of the term ‘Pride’. You will also find additional links on the history of the Pride movement.
- Mashable: 5 ways parents can talk to kids about LGBTQ identity
- Stonewall: Promoting Different Families
- Stonewall: Poster illustrating different family units
Listen Without Judgement
If a child wants to discuss LGBT identity, listen with an open mind. Listening without judgement provides them with a safe space to express themselves. As adults, it is our responsibility to use a positive attitude rather than discriminatory stereotypes.
Slate’s series Outwards aims to expand the LGBTQ conservation, including the article The Straight Parents’ Guide to How Not to Raise a Homophobe—and How to Be a Better Ally
Keep it Simple and Honest
- Planned Parenthood: What should I teach my elementary school aged child about identity?
- Planned Parenthood: How do I talk with my elementary school aged child about sex and sexuality?
- The Gay Straight Alliance sets out Ten Ways Homophobia Affects Straight People.
- Educate & Celebrate: PRIDE in Primary Education
- Encyclopedia Britannica: LGBT Pride Month Is Here
- LGBT Trailblazers: A Pride Month Curriculum For Kids
- The Proud Trust: Educational Resources
- Queer Kids Stuff: “Queer Kid Stuff imagines a kinder and more equal future through highly-accessible education and entertainment for kids ages 3+”
- Safe @ School: Lesson Plans and Tool Kits
- School Wellbeing: LGBT* History Month Religion, Belief & Philosophy
- Stonewall: “Resources to tackle homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in education environments and help create more inclusive spaces.” Stonewall also made the film FREE “about friendship, families and the importance of being yourself”.
- Teaching Tolerance: Celebrate LGBT Pride Month With Perspectives!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.
Great Books to Celebrate Pride Month
10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert
A Tale of Two Daddies by Vanita Oelschlager
And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson
From the Stars in the Sky to the Fish in the Sea by Kai Cheng Thom & Kai Yun Ching
Julian is a Mermaid by Jessica Love
Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress by Christine Baldacchino
Sparkle Boy by Lesléa Newman
Taking about Pride and related topics can be a struggle for some adults. What tools or activities do you use to teach or discuss LGBTQ+ topics with children?
Do you have any favourite picture books? Let me know in the comments below. I am always on the lookout for great LGBTQ+ and Pride books. I will try and include them in this list so let me know below
You can also check out other related posts on Children’s Library Lady below. Finally, you will find some more Pride related books and items from Amazon.