The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The Giving Tree tells of the unconditional love of a tree and the selfishness of a boy. Over the course of the boy’s life, he asks the tree to help him and she gives him everything she has. “She loved a little boy very much – even more than she loved herself.” It is only as an old man he sees the trees compassion, generosity and friendship.
Teaching Resources: The Giving Tree
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Kids Health in the Classroom: Empathy Teacher’s Guide
- Reading is Fundamental: Teaching Support Materials
- Shel Silverstein Website: Lessons and Activities
- Shel Silverstein Website: Videos
- Shel Silverstein Website: 50 years of the Giving Tree teaching ideas
- Teaching Children Philosophy: Guidelines for Philosophical Discussion
- The Washington Post: Are you raising nice kids? A Harvard psychologist gives 5 ways to raise them to be kind
- Take a look inside
Books by Shel Silverstein
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.