The Visitor by Antje Damm
“Elise was scared of everything…. So, she never went out. Night or day.” An apron-wearing Elsie likes to clean her home, but she really doesn’t like to leave it as she is easily frightened.
One day a blue paper aeroplane flies through a window into her grey home. This extraordinary event leads to a knock at the door. Elsie has a visitor who will change everything.
She opens the door to a boy wreathing a red cap and with bare feet and he asks for his plane. This is followed by “Can I visit your bathroom? It’s urgent!” As the boy enters Elsie’s home it fills with colour and makes Elsie smile. An unexpected friendship develops and brings colour and light to Elsie’s lonely life.
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Gecko Press: The Visitor Teaching Notes
- Gecko Press: Overview of The Visitor and Activities
- Hessenschau: Illustrator Antje Damm explains in an interview how the book was created
- Let’s Talk Picture Books: Let’s Talk Illustrators #44: Antje Damm
- Mundt Agency: Take a Look Behind the Scenes: Antje Damm’s The Visitor
- Take a look inside
Books by Antje Damm
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.