Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts
Jeremy tells his grandmother he wants ‘those shoes’, a new pair of black shoes with white stripes. Her no-nonsense response leaves him wishing he had what his friends have. “There’s no room for ‘want’ around here – just ‘need’. And what you need are new boots for winter.”
Jeremy is mortified when his old shoes fall apart and the school counsellor provides an unstylish replacement pair. Jeremy successfully searches a second-hand shop for a pair of the shoes. There is one problem, they are too small. After some contemplation, he passes the sneakers to a young child who Jeremy realises needs them more than him.
Teaching Resources: Those Shoes
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Character: These Shoes Be Kind to Yourself lesson plan
- Maribeth Boelts Website: Those Shoes Teacher’s Guide
- Mindfulness Exercises for Children: Gratitude for Happiness and Health
- Reading is Fundamental: Teaching Support Materials
- Six Trait Gurus: How hard is it to be the ONLY kid who can’t have “Those Shoes”?
- Teaching Children Philosophy: Guidelines for Philosophical Discussion
- Teaching Tolerance: What’s Fair?
- Take a look inside
Books by Maribeth Boelts & Noah Z. Jones
- Picture Books to Inspire Acts of Kindness
- Books & Resources for World Kindness Day
- Picture Books Embracing Dynamic Friendships
- Fairness Picture Books & Resources
- Discover the Benefits of Picture Books for Older Readers
- 6 Powerful Strategies on How to Choose Books to Read
- Children’s Books & Resources for the IB Learner Profile Traits