My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald
Cartwheel is an immigrant who moves from a war-torn land to a new country with her aunt. She struggles to adjust to many aspects of her new home.
“Nobody spoke like I did. When I went out, it was like standing under a waterfall of strange sounds. The waterfall was cold. It made me feel alone. I felt like I wasn’t me anymore.”
With help from a new friend her transition to fit in and feel more at home becomes smoother.
Teaching Resources: My Two Blankets
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Freya Blackwood Blogspot: Preview of My Two Blankets
- Freya Blackwood Official Website
- The Guardian: Inside the world of Kate Greenaway winner Freya Blackwood
- Learning to Give: Refugees: Finding a Place (K-2)
- The Little Big Book Club: My Two Blankets Learning Time
- The Little Big Book Club: Lesson Plan Yr 4-5
- Read for Australia: My Two Blankets Teaching Notes Yr 1-8
- Reading Australia: My Two Blankets Lesson Plan
- Take a look inside My Two Blankets
Books by Freya Blackwood
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.