My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald
Cartwheel is an immigrant who moves from a war-torn land to a new country with her aunt. She struggles to adjust to many aspects of her new home.
“Nobody spoke like I did. When I went out, it was like standing under a waterfall of strange sounds. The waterfall was cold. It made me feel alone. I felt like I wasn’t me anymore.”
With help from a new friend her transition to fit in and feel more at home becomes smoother.
My Two Blankets Resources
- Australian Literacy Educators’ Association: Teachers’ Notes for Foundation
- Freya Blackwood Blogspot: Preview of My Two Blankets
- The Guardian: Inside the world of Kate Greenaway winner Freya Blackwood
- Learning to Give: Refugees: Finding a Place (K-2)
- The Little Big Book Club: My Two Blankets Learning Time
- The Little Big Book Club: Lesson Plan Yr 4-5
- NSW Education: SPaRK – My Two Blankets
- Reading Australia: My Two Blankets Lesson Plan
Books by Freya Blackwood
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.