Under My Hijab by Hena Khan
Under My Hijab by Hena Khan illustrates the cultural and religious importance of the hijab through the eyes of a young girl. She watches how all the contemporary Muslim women in her family wear their hijab in different ways.
Grandma wears it under her chin fastened with a pin and her aunty pins hers with a beautiful brooch. When Jenna goes hiking, she wears her hijab under a sunhat and Zara likes her to match her outfit. The young girl dreams about her own future and all the different ways she can express herself through her hijab. This picture book is a wonderful way to promote tolerance, family, diversity and identity.
Under My Hijab Resources
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Anti-Defamation League: Under My Hijab Educator Discussion Guide
- Anti-Defamation League: Pre-reading discussions
- Lee & Low: Teacher’s Guide
- Lee & Low: An Interview with Hena Khan, Author of Under My Hijab
- Responsive Reads: Cultural and linguistic Responsive for Under My Hijab
- Learning for Justice: Common Religious Clothing
Books by Hena Khan & Aaliya Jaleel
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.