Under My Hijab by Hena Khan
Under My Hijab by Hena Khan illustrates the cultural and religious importance of the hijab through the eyes of a young girl. She watches how all the contemporary Muslim women in her family wear their hijab in different ways.
Grandma wears it under her chin fastened with a pin and her aunty pins hers with a beautiful brooch. When Jenna goes hiking, she wears her hijab under a sunhat and Zara likes her to match her outfit. The young girl dreams about her own future and all the different ways she can express herself through her hijab. This picture book is a wonderful way to promote tolerance, family, diversity and identity.
Teaching Resources: Under My Hijab
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Aaliya Jaleel Official Website
- Anti-Defamation League: Under My Hijab Educator Discussion Guide
- Colorin Colorado: How Schools Can Create a Safe Environment for Muslim Students
- Hen Khan Official Website
- Lee & Low: An Interview with Hena Khan, Author of Under My Hijab
- Responsive Reads: Cultural and linguistic Responsive for Under My Hijab
- Teaching Tolerance: Common Religious Clothing
- Take a look inside
Books by Hena Khan & Aaliya Jaleel
Disclosure: The Children’s Library Lady website contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through these links, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.