What Is Given from the Heart by Patricia C. McKissack
James Otis and his Mama have had a difficult time. His father died the previous year, they lost the family farm and their current “run-down shotgun house” floods whenever it rains.
During a church service before Valentine’s Day, Reverend Dennis shares some devastating news. The Temple family had lost everything in a fire. The church congregation come together to collect items of use to the family. James’ mother using her cherished white tablecloth to make an apron and she tells James to find “a li’l bit of something” for the Temple girl, Sarah.
James wonders how he can contribute as he doesn’t think he has anything worth giving. He thinks about the Reverend’s and his Mama’s words, “What is given from the heart reaches the heart.” He makes Sarah a book all about her. She is so delighted with this precious gift she presses it to her heart.
This is the final book by the late Patricia C. McKissack
Teaching Resources: What is Given From the Heart
These resources relate to the book, author and illustrator. The number of resources varies book to book. Please check they are appropriate for your specific needs before using them with children. If you have any suggestions please get in touch!
- Learning to Give: Words Bring Peace
- Learning to Give: What Is a Community? (1st Grade)
- Library Lessons With Books: Response to Literature
- Patricia C. McKissack Official Website
- Patricia C. McKissack Website: Videos
- Random House: What Is Given from the Heart Classroom Activities
- The Washington Post: Patricia McKissack, children’s author who brought black history to life, dies at 72
- Take a look inside What Is Given from the Heart
Books by Patricia C. McKissack
Disclosure: The Children’s Library Lady website contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through these links, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you! You can find more information here.